Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Little Missy - Responsible Pet Owner

Little Missy - Responsible Pet Owner

Chapter 1 Begging & Pleading

Mom says we've had animals since before I was
born, and that's a really long time, 'cause I'm
almost ten!

I can't wait until my birthday. I really, really,
really, really, really, really want a puppy.

More than anything, I really, really, really want a
dachshund.

"But… but… Mom!" I stammered. "I'm old enough
for a puppy, n-n-n-o-w-w-w!" I continued. I was
trying to talk in my most serious voice, like I really
meant it.

"Kim", Mom declared. "You don't help out with the
animals we have now. What makes you think you can
take c-a-r-"

I interrupted. I couldn't help it.

"I promise I'll take care of a puppy."

Uh-oh. Mom was shaking her head "No.".

"Sorry, Baby." "Not until you can show some
responsibility." she said.

"Mom…..I promise!" My voice got suddenly
higher. "I really promise this time."

"I'll prove it!", I continued. "Just let me have a
puppy, and I'll show you." Boy, I hope she was
listening to me. She's real good a tuning things
out.

"I'll… I'll take him out in the morning to go potty.
I'll take him for walks, I'll…",

Now my mom interrupts, "Kim."

Oh great, here it comes, I thought.

"First," she continues. "I wake you up in the
morning long after I get up."

"Then just wake me up when you get up." I thought
that was an easy one.

"No-o-o" Mom went on. "Kim, you never get out
of bed right away."

"Just pour a pan of cold water on me!" I offered.
"That'll get me up!"

"Sorry, Sweetie." Mom said as she shook her
head "No."

"You need to show responsibility BEFORE we think
about getting a dog."

She went on,

"You need to help out with the animals we already
have.",

and on,

"You need to feed them and rinse out their water
bowls or clean out the cat box."

and on some more,

"You need to show you can do some of these
things every day, without forgetting. That's part
of being a responsible pet owner, Sweetie. You
need to show me that you can take good care of
the pets you have, before getting another pet."

"But you love pets, Mom." I tried to reason with
her, but she just wasn't budging.

"Forget it, Sweetie." Mom said, making it law.

As I walked down the hall after my plea for a
puppy, I wondered why does she do things
backwards like that, all the time?

Every time I promise I'll do something, mom always
says that I have to show her first.

Like the time I wanted to stay up and finish
watching a movie on a school night. I promised
and promised to get up out of bed in the morning,
just as soon as Mom woke me up.

But Mom said, "Sorry, it doesn't work like that."

"You have to show me that you can get up each
morning, after the first call." Mom continued. "If
you can do that each day, for several days, maybe
even a week, then we can talk about staying up a
little later each night."

You see, it's just plain backwards.


Chapter 2 The Hallway

As I round the corner to the hall…

"Puh… puh…P.U-u-u-u-u!" I shriek. I hold my
breath, pinch my nose and run back to the kitchen
where mom is.

"U-u-ugh!" I declared. "It stinks down there!" As I
point towards the hallway, still pinching my nose.
"Rocky stunk-up the cat box!"

"Well," Mom states. "I can't clean it out until I
finish the dishes. But, feel free to scoop the cat
box if you like." She added.

"No Way! Not a chance." "I can't hold my breath
for that long!" I said.


We have two cats. Rocky is twelve years old and
Sampson is just a baby. Mom says Sampson is
about five years old, but I still call him a little baby,
because he is so cute.

Sampson is my favorite pet ever. Mom said
Sampson is a Seal Point Himalayan. To me, he's
just too cute.

Mom and I sometimes call Sampson "Snooty Fuzz-
Bottom" or "Snot-Face" because he's so snooty.

Sampson likes to give me high-fives all the time.

My Mom said he wasn't really giving me high-fives. She
said he was just getting mad at me for pestering
him.

I still say they're high-fives.

Chapter 3 Karate Class

"OK Class, listen up." Mr. Jeff announced.

Mr. Jeff is my instructor. I placed first in
every event for my age group, during the summer
competition. Yeah me!

He's a real good instructor.

"This is what I want you to do for me this week."
Mr. Jeff continued. "I want each of you to think of
something to do around the house that would help
out your mom or dad."

"I don't mean, like making you bed, or picking up
your dirty socks." "I want you to do something
extra for your mom or dad this week, without being
told to do it."

"Make it a surprise for them. Maybe, load the
dishwasher or sweep the floor. It has to be
something you don't normally do."

And then I thought, mom does everything already.
If I try to help, I get shooed out of the kitchen.

Mr. Jeff added, "Whatever it is that you do to help
out your mom or dad, I want you to write it down
on a piece of paper and bring it to next week's
class. Can everybody do that for me?"

"Remember to write it down. On second
thought, after you write it down on a piece
of paper, have your mom or dad sign the
paper."

Hummm, I thought. "What could I do."

"What could I do."

"What COULD I do?"


To be continued…

© kalyhan 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home